During World War II, Mumbles Hill on the south-eastern top of Gower was the site of defensive gunnery emplacements, which were situated here to defend the skies and shoreline from German attacks.
Today, the hill is part of the Local Nature Reserve and a great place to enjoy spectacular views along the coast.
Construction of the gunnery emplacement was completed in August 1940, not long after the outbreak of war in Europe. It consisted of a command post bunker and several anti-aircraft guns that could concentrate their fire on the same target. The emplacement was staffed by the Royal Artillery, aided and protected by Home Guard volunteers.
Practice drills were initially used to help the artillery staff become accustomed to the noise and smoke of sustained firing. These practice drills were later banned when one of the explosive shells accidentally detonated over local rooftops, shattering many lights!
There are no records of the guns ever bringing down an enemy aircraft, but their presence is thought to have made the attacking planes fly higher.
The gun emplacements and control bunker are still visible on the hill.