A light railway between Burry Port and Gwendraeath was opened between 1859-1891 for the transportation of coal. In 1908 it was modified with the help of railway engineer, Holman Stephens, to carry passengers. The railway had previously been carrying passengers but the journeys had been unofficial and illegal! (most likely local people and miners hitching a ride).
The railway carried passengers up until 1953 and continued transporting coal as late as 1996, when it eventually closed down.